A principle is defined as a personal or specific basis of conduct or management.
Many people consider themselves to be leaders when in reality they’re only managers. The act or art of managing involves conducting or supervising something such as a business. It’s a judicious use of means to accomplish an end.
The act or art of leadership involves providing direction or guidance to an individual or group of people. Management is about organizations. Leadership is about people and involves vision.
- Establishing a clear vision.
- Sharing that vision with people so they’ll follow willingly.
- Providing the information, knowledge and methods to realize that vision
- Coordinating and balancing the conflicting interests of everyone involved.
A leader steps up in times of crisis and is able to think and act creatively in difficult situations. Unlike management, leadership cannot be taught. However, it may be learned and enhanced through coaching and mentoring someone with great leadership skills.
- Decisions. Make sound and timely decisions. Use good problem solving, decision-making, and planning tools.
- Proficient. Be technically proficient. Know your job. Have a solid familiarity with the responsibilities or branch of knowledge of people around you.
- Responsible. Take responsibility for your actions. Search for ways to guide your organization or ministry to new heights. When things fail or go wrong, don’t blame others. Analyze the situation, take corrective action, and move on to the next challenge.
- Role model. Set the example. Be a good role model for everyone around you. Help people not only hear what is expected of them but let them see by example.
- Self-Motivated. Know yourself and seek self-improvement. Seek to continually strengthen your attributes. Be committed to self-study, formal classes, reflection, and interacting with others.
- Study people. Know your people and look out for their well-being. Know human nature and the importance of sincerely caring for people.
- How do you stay self-motivated?
- What kind of role model do you portray to followers?
- What would you add?